Adaptations to the home
Should you require adaptations to your home as a result of a disability you may be eligible for a grant from your local council.
Disabled Facilities Grants can assist in paying to;
- Widen doors & install ramps
- Improve access to rooms & facilities, e.g. stair lifts, downstairs bathroom
- Provide a suitable heating system
- Adapt heating or lighting controls
How much you will be eligible for will be dependent upon your household income and any household savings over £6,000.
- England – grant of up to £30,000
- Wales – grant of up to £36,000
- N. Ireland – grant of up to £25,000
The adaptations required will very much depend on the level of disability and the type of house you live in.
Types of adaptations that may be required include;
- Widening of paths
- Paved areas for wheelchairs
- Outdoor lighting
- Recliner chairs
- Height adjusted chairs
- Lowering high wall cupboards
- Additional storage space
- Lowering of cooker mains switch
- Installation of extractor fan with accessible controls
- Perching stool
- Shower seat
- Level access shower
- Non-slip surfaces
- Wet room
- Stair lift
- Grab rails
- Widened doors
An Occupational Therapist will attend at the house and assess what adaptations and aids are required.